Thursday, September 23, 2010

"Ducks in a Row"

-And I wake up four days later face down in my kitchen hair matted with blood. And then there are tears. And I realize I left the microwave open. I have a gash above my left eyebrow. The blood has clotted, so the cut is sealed and dry. My face is sore. I look at the little black screen on the microwave and then realize I am late for my appointment with the travel agency. And then back to the blood. How am I going to get that stain out before the realtors come to check out the house tomorrow? And then I realize that my car is gone. And then that my paintings are gone, and my jewelry, and my television, and my blackberry, and my china. And then I realize how much time has passed since I was last conscious. That I missed all of my appointments and meetings.

And then I realize that there are no messages on my answering machine.-

"MORE SUPERCITY"

Excuse me sir, I need to get into town tonight. Do you know a way I can get there? I can see it all now. They'll start playing at a quarter til. Their tunes will stroke my hair before entering my ears, and then smooth themselves over my brain. I will tap my toes to that. And sway myself just so. I will melt to that. I will invite them over for a party after the set but, of course, it will be just us. I plan to shrink them with my washing machine and dryer sir. - but I will put them in with the delicates, of course. Don't worry. Once they are dry, I will keep them on a shelf much higher than the others. Definitely way up above Nancy Sinatra. Atop Elvis, above Kurt Cobain. They'll play me the tiniest cutest tunes. So how about it sir? How about that ride?

No comments:

Post a Comment